Tuesday 18 June 2013

{The Southside Tea Room Satisfies the Senses}

First of all my apologies for being a total slacker last week, this winter weather has zapped my motivation in a big way. I'm sure no one noticed but this blog has been static for a week or so.... Sorry to any of you (or maybe none of you) who raced to check out the tunes and events last Monday and were left high and dry. Now on to the artsy stuff!

On Saturday I finally checked out what is a local venue for me The Southside Tea Room. It's been open for over a year now and is the baby of The Grates front woman, Patience.

Image from here

It was a freezing evening and we were glad to get inside this cosy venue to see Tori Lee and The Phoncurves hit the stage. The decor of this place is just delightful! It's full of little knick knacks and I would describe it as vintage meets kitsch (and my childhood!). There were benches made from old doors, a magic eight ball to help you make your drink choices at the bar, arcade games and a range of delicious looking beverages served in old jars.

We grabbed a seat at an old school desk (complete with tidy tray), talk about flash back! I was a little wary I might get detention for swinging on my chair... 'But I couldn't help it Miss, the music was just too good!'.. and it most certainly was.

I have harped on about the Phoncurves and their harmonies in an earlier post so I won't bore you with too many details... they were fantastic as usual and did the most hilarious cover of MIA paperplanes, if your haven't seen these lovely ladies perform yet, keep an eye out.

The Phoncurves, Tori Lee and my company, the lovely LK!

The real delight of the night for me was Tori Lee. I have never heard of her or any of her music before but it was just lovely, as was she. I'm sure she will be popping up around the traps of the Brisbane live music scene more and more in months to come so if the chance arises to see her make sure you snatch it up!

In short the Southside Tea Room is for me! Can't wait to head back there for one of the many events they host... live music, street fighter comps, clothes swaps, life drawing classes.. they really do have it all!

Have a great week, don't forget to check out this weeks tunes, what's happening in Brisvegas and the lovely artwork of a good friend of mines most talented Uncle,  Lew Brennan (turn to the left of your screen now.)

Happy chilly morning sleep ins,

Kt

No comments:

Post a Comment